Your roof has always been there to protect you from the elements. But what happens if your roof isn’t working as it should? A roof should be able to protect your home from rain, wind, snow, and sun. But if you are noticing that this isn’t the case anymore, chances are you may be in the market for roof repair.
We all want a durable roof but as the home ages, durability wanes. Unfortunately, your roof may not show outright signs that it needs repair, which can make some homeowners confused. Well, to ensure your roof stays in good condition, here are some red flags that mean you need roof maintenance or repair right away.
- The age of your shingles: Generally speaking, asphalt shingles have a lifespan of 20 to 50 years depending on the climate they’re in. So, if you can’t remember the last time you had brand new roof installation done, consider calling up some residential roofers to come check things out.
- Your shingles are peeling or cracking: If you’re noticing large clumps of peeling or cracking shingles, then this could be a sign of water damage right underneath them. While it can be normal for a few shingles to go missing after a big storm, you need to take immediate action if it’s a regular occurrence in your home.
- Wear and tear around roof openings and accessories: Deterioration typically starts around areas where the roof is penetrated, such as chimneys, vents, and pipes. Fraying around the gutters can also be a sign there’s some underlying damage.
- Peeling or blistering interior paint: Your roof is meant to be waterproof, and if you notice peeling or blistering paint inside this is a telltale sign water has entered the home. Areas to check include above doorways, the wall seams, and the areas where the wall meets the ceiling. You should make a point to check for water stains and patches of discoloration as well!
- Roof deck sagging: If you notice that parts of your roof deck are sagging, there could be an accumulation of moisture that is putting extra weight on your seams. If you catch this early, you may be able to avoid an entirely new roof installation and only need repairs.
- Higher energy bills: If you are noticing higher energy bills seemingly without any explanation, there could be pockets in the roof that could be letting warm and cool air out, causing your HVAC system to work harder. Take notice of your bill and if you can’t figure out the problem, our residential roofers may be able to help diagnose the problem.
Don’t hesitate to call our expert residential roofers right away if you notice any or all of these problems. Let us fix your roof for you, and you won’t have to worry about a thing!