In our previous post, we discussed some important things to know before investing in a total roof replacement. Here we continue our list!
Understanding the difference between types of roofing materials
There are so many different materials you can use when you choose to work with residential roofing companies. Some of the most popular material options include:
- Asphalt shingles: These are the most common option as they are the cheapest and the most easily attainable. In fact, four out of five American homes have asphalt shingles! They have a flat appearance and are the most basic option for roofing contractors to use.
- Metal roofing: Metal roofing isn’t applied like the typical shingle. As a result. it requires more materials, time, and money.
- Slate roofing: This is a more expensive option, and is chosen mostly because it looks very high-end. However, it is quite slippery to walk on, so if you tend to do a lot of work on your roof, this may not be the best option for you.
- Rubber/faux slate: This recycled material is a great option as it gives off the high-end vibe without the high cost.
Different materials come at a different cost, so keep this in mind when you are looking for a quote from your roofing contractor.
- The time of year makes all the difference – Typically speaking, it is best to replace your roof during the spring and summer seasons. This is because the temperature is mild and won’t do any damage to your home when the roof is being replaced!
- A roofing replacement is quite loud – If you have children or pets that are sensitive to noises, make sure to plan your installation with them in mind. Depending on the size and shape of your roof, the time span for the project can last up to a few days, which can be detrimental to residents of your home who aren’t prepared.
- A square is not just a square – It is important to understand the basics of roofing when getting your replacement. One term that you’ll tend to hear a lot is a “square” of material. This represents 100 square feet, so be prepared to do some math!
If you are looking to get your roof completely replaced, make sure to contact our professional roofing contractors today to get the process started!