No homeowner wants a leaky roof. After all, the roof protects your home from the elements, and quality roof repair doesn’t come free.
In a recent consumer survey, a durable roof was identified as the number one factor homeowners consider when determining what kind of new roof to purchase. Since an Indianapolis roof installation is such a huge investment, it is crucial that you do whatever you can to keep the roof in tip-top shape. To keep the roof repairs at bay, here are some preventative roof maintenance hacks that will ensure your roof stays in great condition all year round.
- Double check the “holes” that are already on your roof – If your roof is penetrated in any way, whether it is through a chimney, a skylight, or a plumbing vent, check the condition of these openings regularly. They tend to be the first sign of a problem. Water tends to get trapped behind skylights and plumbing vents, and water can easily enter the home if the chimney isn’t sealed properly. It is always a good idea to double check on the status of these points of entry once every few months.
- Keep trees away – Overhanging tree branches are an accident waiting to happen. Make sure they are trimmed back from both your roof and your gutters at all times. If not, you may have to deal with expensive roof repair that could have been avoided.
- Invest in drainage and ventilation – Proper drainage and insulation are incredibly important as they both work together to prevent leaks in the home. Drainage features such as gutters ensure that water does not pool on the roof, and insulation keeps the home nice and dry. Don’t know how to implement these into your roof? Roofing contractors can help.
- Take a look at your gutters – Speaking of drainage… the whole point of your gutter system is to keep water from accumulating on your roof or pooling around your foundation. So if any of the gutters are drooping, bent, hanging, or loose, take steps to repair them right away. However, keep in mind that gutters don’t just need to move water away from the roof. They also need to direct that water to storm drains around your home. If they don’t, instead of leaking in through your roof, all that water will instead leak into your basement or around the foundation of your home.
- Patch things up – Wherever there are any lose bricks or missing shingles, make sure to patch them up right away. Some homeowners may think they can let small holes go for a little bit, but holes of any size are more susceptible to damage. In a heavy storm, even a tiny hole can get out of hand in a matter of minutes.
These five simple maintenance hacks will ensure you don’t have to deal with expensive roof repairs. But, remember, never perform roof repairs that you are not qualified to handle. Many a DIY homeowner has broken a leg trying to inspect their roof. When in doubt, contact roofing contractors near you for assistance. A quality roof requires preventative maintenance and some tender loving care, so be nice to your roof and it will be nice to your home!