The changing of the seasons certainly has an impact on our home’s exterior. Even the most durable roof can be subject to the wear and tear of nature. This is why Autumn roof care is crucial. By maintaining your roof and addressing any roof repairs in the Fall, you can keep it strong during the Winter months. Use this step-by-step guide to cover the basics of your roof care.
- Remove leaves and debris as needed. While the falling leaves may look beautiful, they are actually a threat to your roof. These leaves can encourage mold growth and retain moisture, damaging your roof as a result. This is why it’s important to clean them off your roof regularly, or hire a professional to do it for you.
- Scrub off moss and mold. Once your roof is clear of leaves, take the time to remove moss and mold. By keeping your shingles clean, you can prevent them from deteriorating. Again, you may want to hire a professional to do so safely.
- Inspect for any damage. Mold and debris aside, it’s also essential to inspect the actual structure of your roof. Your roof should be inspected once or twice per year anyway, so you may want to hire a professional for this job. Buckling, missing shingles, and sagging are some of the most common warning signs of a damaged roof. Qualified roofing contractors will tell you if you need to schedule roof installation.
- Schedule gutter cleaning. When water runs off of your roof, it can cause major problems if it does not drain through your gutters. The water will not drain properly, collecting around your foundation instead. To avoid basement flooding, clean out your gutters and inspect them often for debris.
- Trim your trees. Once your home’s exterior is clean, it’s time to prevent any more debris from falling on your roof. Trim the trees around your home and keep any shrubbery at bay. This way, the leaves will fall to the ground and not on your roof.
By sticking to a Fall maintenance schedule, you can help your home weather all four seasons each year. But to maintain a durable roof, remember to hire a qualified Indianapolis roofing professional. This way, you can have an expert on your side to assess your roofing needs.